If you haven’t heard this at all today, HAPPY 2017!!!. I’m using this time to sort of reflect the past year. This’ll be a lengthy post because it was a “year of realizing things” as Kylie Jenner puts it. So, grab a bag of popcorn and a warm cup of coffee!
This was a struggling year for me. I moved four hours away from my hometown to begin college, I lived with complete strangers, I rented my first apartment, and went through a flurry of situations/ lessons/memories. Nothing was simple anymore, not easy, and all worth it. I’m ending this year blissfully happy despite such a hard year. Looking back, all 365 days really shaped who I’m going to be in 2017. I’m excited!! I have so many great plans and lots of greatness to come. 2016 was busy but 2017 will be even busier. I’ve created a list of big lessons that I appreciate every day.
- Hustle while you can. I’ve had so many back issues that I’ve been stuck in bed for days trying to heal myself and it killed me! I loved going to work knowing I was making money for myself. I hated that I couldn’t spend that day the way I wanted.
- Don’t force anything. Things happen for a reason. Sometimes you’re not supposed to have certain things and people in your life. You always find out later but it’s true. I’ve always wondered why certain old friends of mine weren’t a part of my life anymore and I realized it wasn’t meant to be which is okay.
- There’s beauty in the struggle. With struggle, there comes change. You learn so much about yourself that you didn’t know about before. It’s quite the experience to find out how you react in certain situations. I learned that in high-stress situations, I’m terrifyingly calm and collected. In that struggle, you’re working for a reward whether it’s small or big, known or unknown, and it’s absolutely worth it. After a months long battle with my old (crazy) roommate, she finally left and I began to appreciate my home even more.
- Discover something new every day. I’ve tried to make it a point to find out something new about where I am daily. Whether its a fact, a cool restaurant, or a new hiking spot, it’s fun. On my way to work, I always find something new to look at and make a mental note to go there as soon as I can. It’s fun finding the beauty in your home.
- Planning for small plans is just as important as planning for the big plans. It’s no secret that I’ve always want to visit/ live in NYC so I’m planning a trip in August (fingers crossed). It’s also important to plan things for the week and even your month. I’ve been planning with my fiance to get a bunch of his work friends to come over so I can finally meet them! The little plans for the day to day life are just as important as the big ones.
- Save as much money as you possibly can. I can’t tell you how many times life threw a curve ball at me and having money in my savings saved me big time. Those times when I didn’t have any and I needed it was stressful and extremely difficult. It’s relieving to know that if you ever get in a pinch, you have a cushion to help you and not throw your financial situation into a frenzy.
- Kindness isn’t a weakness. I see everywhere that you have to be tough and to be “savage” but why can’t we be kind and warm to everyone? There’s so much horror in the world that I can’t stand the pettiness that goes on in so many lives that are blessed. No one should be attacking each other for their differences or different opinions.
- Learn your lessons and move on. Mistakes happen and as long as you learn from them and not obsess over your mistakes, move on. Nothing will change what happened and accept that you are purely human. We constantly make mistakes and that’s okay. We’re not supposed to know everything right off the bat. It’s what makes life fun and interesting.
- Keep yourself a priority. Your happiness and health is highly important. Taking care of yourself will enable you to help others. It’s okay to be doing things for yourself but do more for others. I promise it’s a good feeling.
- Have some projects. As you can tell, I’m a big planner and love to be prepared. I get excited by plans and being ready for them. I’m working on some exciting projects that give me even more purpose and drive for success. I love the thought of creating something wonderful so I can fulfill my dream of living happily in New York City with my fiance and my furbabies. I love that my hard work has a purpose for my life besides paying bills and getting by.
Cheers to 2016, a wonderful year full of lessons, adventures, and memories. But an even bigger cheers to another fantastic year! I’m so excited to begin such a wonderful and exciting year. There was plenty of bad things that happened in 2016 but thousands more better things happened. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the next 365 days!
Happy New Year!